If you have any kind of handmade business, whether you sell finished items, craft supplies or whether you teach classes, then a blog is only going to enhance your profitability.
Maybe you sell through Etsy, Folksy or ArtFire, perhaps you have your own website, but if you don’t have a blog that you regularly update, then you are missing out on potential customers, and here’s why:
1. A blog gives you a home base. Here you can write about your life and your craft and you can link back to wherever you sell your handmade items or supplies. Anyone who loves to buy handmade, also loves to hear the story of your business, how you got started and what motivates you to design and to create. You don’t have to write about any details of your life that you don’t feel comfortable with sharing, but regular posts on your process and what inspires you, will go a long way to fleshing out the story of your business. And what do people buy? It’s not just the handmade item, it’s the story behind it.
2. A blog gives you the ability to have all your links in once place, so that you can always refer people to that central core of your business. Make sure that you link here to wherever you sell your items and to all your social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. We looked more closely recently at why these four social networks are so important.
3. A blog is regularly updated and this gives you a boost in the search engines, as above all search engines love fresh, regularly updated content. I won’t dwell in detail in this post on why it is important to rank well in Google, Yahoo, Bing et al but suffice to say that the better you rank, the more chance there is that people will see your business and ultimately purchase your handmade items. Not only that, but the links that you create from your blog to your marketplace, again help your SEO or Search Engine Optimization (don’t worry more on this coming soon).
4. A blog allows you to network, to link to other bloggers, to comment on other blogs with a link back to your own and even to participate in blog hops, craft swaps and the like. You will meet some wonderful people along the way, people who are more than willing to help you out and share what you have to offer.
5. Blogging is fun. Not only do you get to write about your passion but you get to interact with a whole bunch of great people and to share your wonderful work, it doesn’t get much better than that. So are you tempted to start a blog of your own? Let me know if you have any questions or comments in the section below.
Also, do you want to make social media truly effective for your handmade business in the year ahead? If so you may want to sign up for my 6 week online course – the Social Media Marketing Bootcamp. Enrol today for instant access.
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.