Today I would like to welcome Nancy from The Bib Place. Nancy is one of our featured members over at the Art of Crafts Directory and she makes a beautiful range of customized baby bibs.
1. Firstly, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about where you are based, for example in which country and part of that country? Hello, my name is Nancy Small and I live in the United States in the state of Indiana.
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your handmade based business. I make baby bibs. Some of them have baby related cross stitch items on the front and some bibs are just made of fabric. I also make custom bibs on which I cross stitch the child’s name.
3. How did the idea for your business come about? I lost my job in September of 2012 and I was unable to find another one. So I decided to try selling my cross stitch. It took me a while to get my inventory to where I felt comfortable enough to open an Etsy store.
4. How long now have you been established? I am a newbie to selling my craft items. I opened my Etsy shop, The Bib Place in March, 2014.
5. How do you decide what to make, and how do you come up with your great ideas? I have a lot of children cross stitch patterns and it’s more “which one do I make next?” They’re all so cute, I just have to pick one and then decide what fabric would look best with it. I also try to create my own patterns but right now it’s mostly reworking other people’s designs.
6. What advice would you give to others who are considering running a craft based business? When I decided to open an Etsy store, I looked at other shops that sold baby bibs. None of them had bibs like I had in mind (cross stitch inserted in fabric) so I was unsure if mine would sell. I’m now glad I went with my idea even though I haven’t had a lot of sales yet. So I guess my advice would be to go ahead with your idea; it may be just what customers are waiting for.
7. As this is Art of Crafts I have to ask, do you enjoy any other crafts yourself in your spare time? If so, please tell us more. Right now all of my crafting is making my baby bibs. But I have tried many crafts in the past. I have done some quilting (including making a king size quilt all hand stitched and hand quilted), macramé, needlepoint and doll making. I feel like quilting has helped me the most in my present endeavor. It showed me how to put certain fabric colors and patterns together. I keep coming back to cross stitch though because I enjoy it so much.
8. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a web address, Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can find out more?
My Etsy shop address is: https://etsy.com/shop/TheBibPlace
I also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheBibPlace
With many thanks to Nancy for taking the time for this interview.
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.