The cost of a greetings card ranges from a slight inconvenience to a small fortune. Making your own can save time, effort and money. But more importantly a personalised touch can pull on the heart strings of any would be special occasion card recipient.
* Choose your format. Christmas cards to Valentine’s Day cards, a greeting can be sent for many different reasons. It is important to match the occasion to the format of the card. For instance, it could be inappropriate to create a ‘humorous theme’ as a get well soon card. The format could also include how the card is folded, shaped, or sized. A card doesn’t necessarily need to stick to the traditional ‘1 page folded over’ format.
* Style the card. Moving on from the format, the style is important to set the theme. Colour, font, and setting are all to be considered, and keep the style consistent throughout the whole card. Again the occasion is a good thing to consider. For example, a congratulatory card for somebody passing their driving test, a car or road related theme would be appropriate
* Choose graphics. The vast majority of cards will require some sort of graphic incorporated in to this. A simple styled card may only require one or two images, but it is important not to overload the card with too many pictures. Again keeping with the occasion, images should be relevant, and stick with the style. For a more ‘cartoonish’ approach, an image from clipart would be suitable, as opposed to an actual photograph.
* Choose a message. A picture can tell a thousand words, but a sentence is direct to the point, and for this reason it could be argued this is the most important point to get right. Again, style is important; a funny card will most likely involve a joke. This message will make or break the card, so choose your words carefully.
* Print out a readymade template. There are many websites online, free and at a premium, which provide ready to go cards which just require printing. A great idea for those who lack time or creativity, but in doing so can lose the personalised touch.
* Sign it! A card would not be complete without the sender’s personalised signature.
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.