For today’s interview please welcome performing artist Vanessa Salgado, who celebrates her love of all things ballet and craft over at her website Crafterina.
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your craft/design based business. Crafterina.com is an educational resource and online boutique for young dancers, parents and teachers. Visitors can purchase Crafterina the children’s book as well as printable paper crafts, to create and experience the joy of imaginative dancing at home. In addition, readers will find free DIY dance & craft tutorials, a dance vocabulary glossary, tips for parents, and so much more.
3. How did the idea for your business come about? As a dance teacher, I have encountered the same question from parents: what can we practice at home to make my child a better dancer? My answer is simple: expose your child to all different types of art forms; read imaginative stories, encourage dancing at home, create art with your hands, and listen to music from all around the world. Engaging in creative activities activates the mind and sparks the imagination.
Feeling that parents needed a bit of help being creative at home, I decided to create Crafterina. Crafterina is a crafty storybook that tells the story of a little dancer who makes crafts to help her go on dancing adventures. By using her imagination and her hands, she is able to make her dreams come to life! Each adventure has a corresponding craft that encourages a child to explore dancing in a creative and artistic way.
4. How long now have you been established? Crafterina the children’s book was published in December of 2012. It is a new venture backed by founders with a lifetime worth of performing, teaching and crafting experience.
5. How do you decide what to make, and how do you come up with your great ideas? I have been dancing and creating as early as I can remember. As a little girl, I always loved creating at the kitchen table with my mom and sister. Over the years, my whimsical style of illustration revealed itself and my mother encouraged me to follow my artistic voice. As a result, I try to create designs that speak to my sensibilities, and also appeal to children. All of the crafts on Crafterina.com have been given a two-thumbs up approval from all of my dancing students.
6. Do you undertake your business on a full-time basis or do you have other work/family commitments? I live a very busy life in New York City. I perform, teach, and create everyday. I am fortunate to have something that combines all of my interests and passions in one! I am very lucky indeed.
7. Tell us a little about your typical day and what is involved in running the business? My typical day usually consists of taking ballet class, teaching in the afternoon, sometimes rehearsals later in the day, and many additional hours for Crafterina. I carry an illustration journal with me wherever I go and use every free moment (whether on the subway or in the park) to sketch new illustrations and content for Crafterina.com. I have so many ideas, only so many hours in the day to complete them!
8. What advice would you give to others who are considering running a craft based business? Life is truly a gift. I honestly believe that each individual on earth has a precious opportunity to share their light with the world. I encourage you to follow your dreams and take a big leap in the direction your heart desires. When you know what makes you happy, there is always a way to create your dream!
9. As this is Art of Crafts I have to ask, do you enjoy any crafts yourself in your spare time? If so, please tell us more. I always feel at peace with the world when I create art. Whether it is dancing or creating crafts, I love it all. It is always exciting to learn and try new crafting techniques in my spare time. I am fascinated by paper construction and am constantly working to create new dance & craft ideas.
10. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a web address, Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can find out more ? Yes! Please connect with Crafterina online through the links below and become a part of our dance & craft community!
Etsy Shop: www.crafterina.etsy.com
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.