For today’s interview please welcome Lisa Jacobs from the Energy Shop.
1. Firstly, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about where you are based, for example in which country and part of that country? I am Lisa Jacobs, owner of the Energy Shop and author of Marketing Creativity. I’m American (originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), but I’ve spent the last few years living abroad with my family. We currently reside in Wellington, New Zealand.
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your craft/design based business. I make beaded, gemstone jewelry. I’m Reiki-certified (Reiki is an energy healing practice) and I’ve studied the meanings and benefits of crystals, so all of my pieces come spiritually charged to enhance the natural attributes of the gems I use.
3. How did the idea for your business come about? I was studying all things energetic and metaphysical at the time, and I couldn’t shake this obsession with crystals. I really wanted to add more crystals to my everyday life, but I didn’t want rocks tumbling all over my house :).
I’d always loved to string beads, and I’ve always had a strange obsession with my wrists … they’re cute and little, and I admire them often!
One day, everything I loved came together in a glorious idea:
I’ll make bracelets out of crystal beads and wear them on my wrist! I can’t put into words how happy this idea has made me. The Energy Shop was born and my bracelets became positive affirmations for your wrist.
4. How long now have you been established? I opened the Energy Shop in May of 2010. It’s been about two and a half years.
5. How do you decide what to make, and how do you come up with your great ideas? I’m fortunate in that designs seem to just happen with the gemstones I choose. When I get a new order of supplies, I know immediately what I would like to create upon seeing the beads.
6. Do you undertake your business on a full-time basis or do you have other work/family commitments? My creative business is composed of two running projects that compliment each other well: The Energy Shop and Marketing Creativity, where I write about marketing strategy and the success I’ve seen selling handmade. These two operations make up my full-time career.
7. Tell us a little about your typical day and what is involved in running the business? Since I feed two different outlets, it can be hard to track my progress. If I touch everything every day, it leaves a lot of unfinished business lying around. I’ve had to learn a lot of tough lessons in productivity.
My day has several, regular family responsibilities (my husband and I have four children). When the children are in school, I have a solid six-hour workday all to myself. I keep those hours quiet with as little distraction as possible, and I delegate every working day by naming 1-3 tasks that absolutely must get done in order for me to progress toward my goals.
I spend 80% of my time creating or writing, and the other 20% of my time reading or working up promotions.
8. What advice would you give to others who are considering running a craft based business? I give a lot of advice to peers running craft-based business on Marketing Creativity, but I suppose my one biggest tip would be:
Recognize your business as extraordinary, all the time. Don’t be afraid to push this dream … you’ve already stepped outside of average boundaries, just by showing up to the possibility of making your dream come true. This handmade, creative lifestyle isn’t for everyone, but it is for us, otherwise you wouldn’t be here reading this. My biggest tip is that you keep building every day. It’s often scary! However, each stretch of your comfort zone is one step closer to more freedom, better quality of life, excitement, happiness, and joy. You CAN leap out of bed everyday excited for what’s in store! So please have faith in yourself and your vision.
9. As this is Art of Crafts I have to ask, do you enjoy any crafts yourself in your spare time? If so, please tell us more. I love the act of painting, but I’m not a fan of the results.
10. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a web address, Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can find out more ?
I am at:
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.