1. Firstly, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about where you are based, for example in which country and part of that country? I am located in downtown Jersey City, NJ. I live in a quaint little community located very close to New York City.
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your craft/design based website. My blog, Cupcakes + Owls, serves artists, parents and kids… and is designed to be a treasure trove of craft ideas, advice for artists, and cute products.
3. How did the idea for your business/website come about? I wanted to create a blog that would feature new ideas, artists and businesses that were all kid friendly. It’s a great platform for my own business ‘Lady Lucas’ and offers two new posts each week. The name of the blog comes from the two things I love to draw the most!
4. How long now have you been established? I have only had the blog for a few months… and am looking forward to many more years of fun and happy writings…
5. How do you decide what to write about and feature, and how do you come up with your great ideas for blog posts? In order for me to feature something it has to be cute, kid friendly and potentially helpful to the arts community. I grab business cards wherever I go… and keep a notebook in my purse. I am always looking for new content!!
6. Do you undertake your business/website on a full-time basis or do you have other work/family commitments? My blog is a part time endeavor… however, my arts business ‘Lady Lucas’ is full time for me.
7. Tell us a little about your typical day and what is involved in running the business/website? I started running Lady Lucas full time in September 2011. Every single day is different! Most days I offer private art lessons and classes based on my own unique creative style. I’m always creating new products and artwork, and promote my published children’s books when I have a little extra time. I am always looking for new opportunities and companies to partner with 😉
8. What advice would you give to others who are considering running a craft based business/website? Try to pick a theme for your website or blog. Mine is basically ‘cute’ but I may define it even more as time goes on. As far as business advice… pure endurance and belief in yourself are absolutely essential. You have to work for everything you do… but if you love the business it is worth it!
9. As this is Art of Crafts I have to ask, do you enjoy any crafts yourself? If so, please tell us more. I love crafting!! I am working on my first book on the subject called, “Character Crafting” as you read this. I’m very excited about it!!
10. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can find out more ? Yes!
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.