For today’s interview please welcome Jill from E and Z Make.
1. Firstly, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about where you are based, for example in which country and part of that country? My name is Jill Overbury and I am an English teacher by day, textile crafter the rest of the time. I have 2 cats called Elvis and Zorro and am married to a long suffering husband! I love drinking tea, eating cake, reading and walking and a spot of gardening. My friends say I’m a bit eccentric!
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your craft/design based website. I haven’t got a website as yet – this is one of my future projects. However, I am on Facebook, Twitter and I blog from time to time. I have recently opened a little shop on Folksy but i need to add more items; I only have kindle covers there at the moment!
3. How did the idea for your business come about? The idea came for the business quite organically really. My husband came home one evening with a copy of crosstitcher magazine and I was so inspired my all the lovely projects that it grew from there. I have always been artistic and crafty (my first degree is in graphic design and typography) and I also studied textiles whilst at college. So it came from there and has grown over the past year. It is a good stress reliever from the day job and also I love it when people say how my things are lovely and practical at the same time!
4. How long now have you been established? I’ve only been established a year!
5. How do you decide on your designs and come up with the ideas for what you want to make? I take inspiration from the walks we go on, and the things I love. My cats are a source of inspiration: the business name is named after them as they are always in the sewing room with me. I like to think that if I like it, then hopefully someone else will too and find it beautiful and useful. Sometimes though, beautiful is good enough!
6. Do you undertake your business/website on a full-time basis or do you have other work/family commitments and tell us a little about your typical day. I run e and z make part time as I am an English teacher by day. I love coming home, having a brew and cuddle with cats (and possibly a kiss from the hubby 😉 ) and doing a little bit of stitching, designing, knitting- whatever takes my mood really. I like to work this way so that I’m not stressed and my designs have a natural, organic feel to them filled with good vibes and positive energy.
7. What advice would you give to others who are considering running a craft based business/website? Advice I’d give is to plan your time wisely and dont overdo it! It’s hard sometimes to fight the temptation to ‘just cut that out’ or ‘ I’ll just sew this’ but you need time to rest and spend quality time with family. I have to tell myself this because I’m a bit of a workaholic sometimes.
8. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can find out more ? People can find out more at the links below: