For today’s interview please welcome Samantha Jones from Samantha’s Homemade Crafts.
1. Firstly, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about where you are based, for example in which country and part of that country?
My name is Samantha Jones, I am currently living in Plymouth, England (although this is subject to change as my husband is in the navy), with my 3 children, Blake-Anthony 5, Kaci-Madison 2 and Joshua-Darren 4 months! Also my husband Paul.
2. Please tell us a little about the nature of your craft/crafts and business.
I have started making personalised plaques, script, letters etc, but I am very willing to give anything a go!!
3. What first interested you in your craft?
I wanted to make some personalised items for my children, as they have slightly unusual names (try getting Kaci-Madison on a door sign!), I really only found out about 3/4 months ago that I could make my own crafts, and since then it has been an addiction!!
4. Did you have any formal training or have you learnt by yourself as you have gone along?
I have not had any training, although if the right course were to pop up I would attend as it is always worth learning new skills. I have taught myself how to get the best quality through trial and error, what works for some people doesn’t work for others…so after a lot of eyelash battering my husband let me go craft shopping and buy everything I thought I might need!
It came about so I could show my work to others, and orders were coming in before I set the page up, I just thought hey, if my maternity leave can last a bit longer by selling my crafts I may as well give it a go. It’s fun, and allows me time to spend with my children, and still managing to get on with the housework, although my dining room is now my office/craft studio! And my garage is now a spraying room, and has an area for me to cut all my wood!
6. How long now have you been established?
Only for about a month!
7. How do you find inspiration and where do you locate your materials?
I source materials from everywhere, charity shops, ebay, the market, b&q! My inspiration is my children, they tell me what they like and I make it, if they don’t like something it gets put in a pile to be re-used for something else!
8. Do you undertake your business/website on a full-time basis or are you also working elsewhere whilst you get it up and running?
I am always around to answer questions and discuss customers needs, I do have another job, I am a fundraiser, but I am still on maternity leave, hoping to be able to extend it as I am really enjoying some quality time with my children.
9. Tell us a little about your typical day and what is involved in running the business/website.
A typical day sees me starting around 7.30 am with sorting my children out for school and spending ten minutes online to see how things are going. My daughter does varied hours at pre school, so if she is home we play and make things together! At nap time you can find me decorating plaques, or brainstorming for new ideas! When the two older children are at school and the husband is home early I am in my garage cutting, sanding and priming wood, or spraying it to keep the paint looking good! After dinner and bed I am back in the dining room painting or decorating plaques, sometimes even with Joshua on my lap!
To get stuck in! Don’t be scared of making mistakes in the first few months, it’s better to do it now than later!
11. How do you sell your wares – through craft fairs etc or through your own website and or Etsy or other shops? Please let us have the links to these.
I have my first craft fair soon, it is on the 5th Feb at Tavistock church hall, and I sell via facebook and word of mouth!
12. Finally, if people want to learn more about your business/website do you have a Facebook page or Twitter profile where they can learn more?
My facebook page is www.facebook.com/SamanthasHomemadeCrafts
I welcome any feedback, questions, suggestions, and even if something is not on my page I will more than happily see what I can do to meet requirements!
Sign Up For My Free Newsletter
As a thank you I will send you my two ebooks 'The Big Book of Craft Interviews: Vol 1 & 2' and you will get access to my weekly newsletter.